Save Your Money and Get Healthy without the Gimmicks
Aryn Lloyd: Fitness gimmicks like the shake weight, thigh master, and ab belt are a great source of entertainment and conversation among exercise specialists. Believe me, the only thing that works is WORK.
Ask yourself the following questions before you pounce on the next ‘toning’ gadget:
- What does the research from the accredited sources such as the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), American Council of Exercise (ACE), or the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) say about this item?
- Is it safe and effective?
- Is this a smart economic decision?
It’s true that fitness gimmicks are often expensive. But getting healthy in general is a bargain.
Consider the medical and lifestyle costs of chronic illnesses such as diabetes or heart disease! You can’t afford NOT to get healthy!
Choose Your Level of Investment: From gym memberships to free fitness apps, there’s a level of investment that fits any budget, that only requires you to own a pair of tennis shoes.
- If purchasing a gym membership will help you adhere to an exercise program – get a membership and start moving!
- If a gym membership is too costly for you, lace-up a pair of supportive shoes and head to the mall and start moving!
- If you have a hard time adhering to a walking regimen at the mall (or anywhere weather permitting), join a group fitness class and start moving!
- If a group setting is intimidating, consider a personal trainer to help familiarize yourself with exercises and equipment.
- If a personal trainer is too costly, consider purchasing a DVD or use YouTube and stream a fitness professional talking through exercises and safety precautions and start moving!
- If you hadn’t planned on going to the store this week, search your App Store, download a FREE fitness app, and start moving!
Perhaps the biggest barrier to fitness is our perceived cost of time.
Put your health first and schedule less phone or TV time. In the long run, you can help reduce the costs of illness or disease later.
You don’t have to spend a lot of money when it comes to good health. Lace up your shoes today and your personal payoff will be big in the future!
Save Your Money and Get Healthy without the Nutritional Supplements
Jeni Tackett: You do not have to take expensive meal-replacement shakes or nutrition supplements to be healthy or to lose weight.
Nutrients are actually better absorbed from foods. Unless you are diagnosed with a nutrient deficiency and prescribed a supplement, you should be able to meet your needs with foods.
Eating a plant-based, healthy diet is the best way to get the nutrients you need.
Liquid meal replacements do not give the satisfaction of chewing. Liquids are also digested quickly, leaving you hungry and unsatisfied.
Eating whole foods such as fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts, whole grains, lean meats, and low-fat dairy products will supply the nutrients you need, and fill up your stomach for a more satisfying meal.
Stick with real foods that are satisfying and provide the nutrients and fiber you need for health.
Money-Saving Tips: Stores like Aldi and Wal-Mart offer low cost and a variety of fruits and vegetables at great prices.
Buy fruits and vegetables in season for optimal flavor and best price. Turn to frozen fruits and vegetables in the off-season.
Shop the store or generic brands instead of the name-brand products. You can save money by shopping in bulk, especially for large families.
Cutting back on dining out can save you money and improve your diet.
Eating a healthy meal at home is much more cost-effective, and can be lower in calories, fat, and sodium. Add variety to your diet by searching online healthy recipe sites:
|Meet Jeni Tackett, Let’s Move Quad Cities Nutrition Blogger. Jeni is a registered and licensed dietitian for Rock Valley Health. Jeni counsels her clients on weight loss and nutrition. You can read Jeni’s bio and other blog posts by clicking here.|
|Aryn Lloyd and Cody Lichthardt are personal trainers at Rock Valley Health. You can read their bios and other blog posts by clicking here.|