By Let’s Move Quad Cities Nutrition Blogger Jeni Tackett, RD, LD
The Quad Cities has an abundance of local produce that’s fun to shop for and great to eat. There’s a market just about any day of the week if you know where to look. Checkout our local list of farmer’s markets below!
The nutritional benefits of the farm-fresh produce include increased fiber, antioxidants, phytochemicals, and peak flavor.
Farmers markets are a wonderful place to spend the morning or afternoon and focus on healthy foods for the family. Rather than going through a drive-thru and grabbing a high fat sandwich, walk around the farmer’s market and support your local community by purchasing whole foods for you and your family.
Follow these tips to make the most of your market trip:
- Avoid temptation! The farmers market has temptations just like the grocery store. Avoid the funnel cakes, corn dogs, Kettle Corn, and candy store. Make a list of the fruits and vegetables you need, and only splurge on more healthy plant foods. In the summer, tomatoes, corn on the cob, and zucchini are delicious choices.
- Take your kids! Kids love the farmers market. By encouraging them to pick out a new fruit or vegetable to try, you get more plant foods into their (and maybe even your) diet. Including kids in shopping and food preparation makes healthy eating fun for everyone.
- Bike or walk to the market! The QC’s local paths all lead to markets. Many families will bike to their market to make it an outing that’s good for you!
- Ask questions (and try something new!) The vendors at the farmers market are a wealth of knowledge. They are happy to share their ideas for food parings, recipes and more.
Some local QCA markets:
Davenport & Bettendorf Locations
• NorthPark Mall, 320 W. Kimberly Road, Davenport, between J.C. Penney and the former Sears store, 8 a.m. to noon Wednesdays and Saturdays.
• The Davenport Freight House Farmers Market, 421 W. River Drive, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays and 4-8 p.m. Wednesdays.
• The Bettendorf Farmers Market, 2117 State St., 2:30-5:30 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays.
• The Mercado on Fifth Market, on 5th Avenue between 11th and 12th Streets, Fridays, 5-9 p.m.
• The Quad-City Fruit and Vegetable Growers market, Southpark Mall, Moline, in the Von Maur parking lot, 8 a.m. to noon Saturdays.
• The Quad-City Fruit and Vegetable Growers East Moline market, Skate City parking lot, 1112 Avenue of the Cities, 8 a.m. to noon Wednesdays and Saturdays.
|Meet Jeni Tackett, Let’s Move Quad Cities Nutrition Blogger. Jeni is a registered and licensed dietitian for Rock Valley Health. Jeni counsels her clients on weight loss and nutrition. You can read Jeni’s bio and other blog posts by clicking here.|