We’ve talked about how to make a fitness plan and stick to it. If you’re still on track, good job! If your motivation is flagging, never fear. Start again. And add a fitness buddy!
Friends keep you more accountable to your goals. Research shows that friends who exercise together tend to get better results.
For one thing, you are much less likely to press the snooze button when you know someone is waiting for you at the gym or on the bike path. And when you make exercise social, you take the focus off of thinking, “Are we done yet?”
Try one of these buddy exercise options:
• Meet at the gym and go for a walk on the track or jog on treadmills together. When you are chatting about your day the time seems to fly by and you may even have a few laughs.
• Take a Pilates class, which is a great thing to do with friends. This is not as fast paced as a step class so you can actually hold a conversation with your friend while you are working out.
• Try small group Personal Training and split the cost with a friend or two. You’ll save money while getting more one-on-one interaction with a trainer than you would in a full sized class.
• Indoor Cycling Class is fun with friends.
• Adult league sports from volleyball to basketball keep you active and feeling good.
Time spent exercising with a friend will leave you feeling refreshed and fit. Ask someone to join you today!
|Meet Jeni Tackett, Let’s Move Quad Cities Nutrition Blogger. Jeni is a registered and licensed dietitian for Unity Point-Trinity and Two Rivers YMCA. Jeni counsels her clients on weight loss and nutrition. You can read Jeni’s bio and other blog posts by clicking here.|