Quad City Moms are finding friendship and motivation to get up and go, thanks to a local chapter of MOMs Run this Town/She RUNS this Town. If you are ready to get strong and live long, enjoy these monthly blogs, featuring Quad City moms – of kids, pets, or not moms at all – who walk and run and who will inspire you TO MOVE!
By Sarah Greim, Let’s Move Quad Cities, MOMS Run This Town
Many people resolve to go to the gym, eat healthier and drink more water. One of the biggest resolutions many have is to run a specific distance such as a 5k.
This goal is one I know a lot about. I was once just a social runner who can now say that I have currently 2 half marathons (numbers 15 and 16), and my second full marathon on the board for 2018!
In fact, if you would have told the pre-mama me that I would be running half and full marathons, and the majority of my friends would be from running, I would have called you crazy.
After baby …
When I had my son in 2012, I did what lots of other mothers with jogging strollers do: I joined a Couch-to-5k group for moms.
It was a built-in group of friends who knew what it was like to be a new mom and trying to reclaim yourself after baby.
This group was the catalyst to me becoming an avid runner!
As I progressed with my running I found my tribe of women in the Quad Cities Area Moms RUN This Town/ She RUNS This Town group. They are the most encouraging and inviting women I have met.
I was out of shape, slow – and I mean slooowww – and very intimidated by those super-fast ladies who “looked” like runners.
But, these ladies not only helped me continue to gain distance and pace, they encouraged me and cheered me on.
I don’t have many friends who would take a weekend out of their life to drive me to Des Moines to watch me run a half marathon, but this group is full of them. We also decided we should all run 25 5ks in a year.
Add Running to Your 2018 Bucket List!
If you have running on your resolution bucket list I have some advice for you:
1. Make sure you have the right footwear and socks.
2. Write down your goal(s). I do this every February as part of our local Declare It Day with Fellow Flowers.
3. Find an app or training program that will help you reach your goal. Our running group will be hosting a free one in the next coming months.
4. Have an accountability partner or group that won’t let you get out of your runs.
5. Not a runner but want to be one? Great! Infuse running into your walking workouts.
6. If you are out of shape, always make sure to discuss any new workout with your doctor first.
7. Be ready to have running change your life. Without running I wouldn’t be who I am or know the amazing people I know now!
8. Watch WQAD-TV’s Report on Moms RUN This Town/She RUNS This Town
Moms RUN This Town/ She RUNS This Town is a free group for women of all paces.
We encourage runners and walkers alike to join us in our workouts and encouragement. We hope to see you at one of our meet-ups which we do monthly.
We also host socials (runners not running) and will go to out-of-town races together to run, walk or cheer on our ladies.
We hope you can join us! Check out and join us on Facebook! Want to join us for Declare It Day in February? Make sure to check for the event on Facebook soon!