Success Stories

Eat Smart &
Get Fit

Battle of
The Bulge

What Moves Me

QC Outdoors

ORA Health Tips

Wade on the Trail with his dog

LMQC’s outdoor bloggers, Teri Stickler and Kaia, head back to school – the renovated, one-room school known as Forest Grove School Number 5, which was built in 1873 and can be found in rural Bettendorf.

By Teri Stickler and her Samoyed, Kaia

With the approach of Labor Day, it’s back to school time for students.

This reality brought us to stop by one of Iowa’s historic one-room schools located in Bettendorf, Iowa. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Forest Grove School No. 5, which was built in 1873, is opening its doors once again.

Teri and Kaia take a quick break before checking out the renovated, Forest Grove No. 5 school house in Bettendorf.

With books in hand, well actually in her pack, Kaia enthusiastically came to check out this recently renovated schoolhouse. Although our hike was not lengthy, it made for a nice outing and gave us a chance to enjoy the great out-of-doors and learn a bit of history as well.

A walk through rural Scott County history

Part of Pleasant Valley Township, Forest Grove enrolled upwards of 30 students each year ranging in age from 5-14.

The children came from within a 2-mile radius to attend school. They most certainly got in their daily steps, and no days off because of snow.

Bringing along their books, which they had purchased in nearby Princeton, their subjects included math, reading and writing, spelling, geography, history and English.

The school remained in use until 1957 when it was closed and purchased by Delbert and Jeannette Blunk. Delbert had attended the school when he was a young boy.

Re-birth after a 50+ year hiatus

Forest Grove School Number 5 before its rehabilitation and renovation.

Later the property was restored by the Forest Grove School Preservation group.  (You can view more pictures of the structure before its restoration by clicking here.)

The renovation of the building began in 2012 as it was carefully put back to how it looked in the 1920’s. The site also retained the three pieces of original playground equipment which included two swing sets and a giant stride.

To use the giant stride, students would grab the chains on the pole and race around the pole thus launching themselves into the air.

Saturday is a great day to go back to school

Forest Grove Number 5 is open to the public on Saturdays

For a nice day’s outing, come visit Forest Grove School No. 5, located on Forest Grove Road, just west of Wells Ferry Road, Bettendorf, Iowa.

The school is open to the public from 9:00-11:30 each Saturday.

You can also learn more about the school and preservation effort by following it all on Facebook.

 

Check out Teri and Kaia’s pictures from their most recent adventure …

 

By Teri Stickler and her Samoyed, Kaia

With the approach of Labor Day, it’s back to school time for students.

This reality brought us to stop by one of Iowa’s historic one-room schools located in Bettendorf, Iowa. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Forest Grove School No. 5, which was built in 1873, is opening its doors once again.

Teri and Kaia take a quick break before checking out the renovated, Forest Grove No. 5 school house in Bettendorf.

With books in hand, well actually in her pack, Kaia enthusiastically came to check out this recently renovated schoolhouse. Although our hike was not lengthy, it made for a nice outing and gave us a chance to enjoy the great out-of-doors and learn a bit of history as well.

A walk through rural Scott County history

Part of Pleasant Valley Township, Forest Grove enrolled upwards of 30 students each year ranging in age from 5-14.

The children came from within a 2-mile radius to attend school. They most certainly got in their daily steps, and no days off because of snow.

Bringing along their books, which they had purchased in nearby Princeton, their subjects included math, reading and writing, spelling, geography, history and English.

The school remained in use until 1957 when it was closed and purchased by Delbert and Jeannette Blunk. Delbert had attended the school when he was a young boy.

Re-birth after a 50+ year hiatus

Forest Grove School Number 5 before its rehabilitation and renovation.

Later the property was restored by the Forest Grove School Preservation group.  (You can view more pictures of the structure before its restoration by clicking here.)

The renovation of the building began in 2012 as it was carefully put back to how it looked in the 1920’s. The site also retained the three pieces of original playground equipment which included two swing sets and a giant stride.

To use the giant stride, students would grab the chains on the pole and race around the pole thus launching themselves into the air.

Saturday is a great day to go back to school

Forest Grove Number 5 is open to the public on Saturdays

For a nice day’s outing, come visit Forest Grove School No. 5, located on Forest Grove Road, just west of Wells Ferry Road, Bettendorf, Iowa.

The school is open to the public from 9:00-11:30 each Saturday.

You can also learn more about the school and preservation effort by following it all on Facebook.

 

Check out Teri and Kaia’s pictures from their most recent adventure …

 

Teri Stickler

Teri Stickler

Outdoor Blogger and Co-Adventurer

Meet Teri Stickler. Teri is a retired Quad-City teacher. She thoroughly enjoys the out-of-doors, sharing most of her adventures with her Samoyed companion, Kaia.